Some Salads to Kick Summer’s Butt
Yeaaaah. I can’t be the only one who looks at forecasts with highs in the 90s (or 100s?) for the next amount of days that is any more than one and freaks out a bit. It’s okay! Because you have salad.
Some Salads with Lettuce
Fruit, Nut, and Cheese Salad
This is super choice with fresh strawberries or blueberries, goat cheese, pecans and basil but in a pinch I use things like apples or craisins, feta, and walnuts and it’s still delicious. Get your greens from the farmer’s market while you still can! Otherwise, any spring mix is fine. For dressing, I like Brianna’s Blush Wine Vinaigrette so much that I’ve never bothered to try to concoct my own replacement. There is always the option of a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic with salt and pepper.
Check the archived link for more info, but it’s like a burrito with more lettuce and no rice or giant tortilla.
Again, check the link! Lately I’ve been all about garbanzo beans, red pepper, lemon, and cilantro.
NEW SALAD! Raw Kale Salad
Kale is so trendy you guys and you must eat it all! Here’s how:
1. Take some washed kale and rip it into smaller pieces and put it in a bowl. So fluffy! (1/2 bunch is good for one very hungry person, or two side salads.)
2. Squeeze half of a lemon all over the kale.
3. Now drizzle some olive oil over the pile of health.
4. Salt, pepper, come on now! Salad making basics.
5. Grate a small but delicious amount of parmesan on all of this greenery.
6. Now you’re allowed to mix all this so every leaf is coated well, with tongs or with your hands, which is much more fun. Taste and add whatever you feel it needs.
7. Finally, add some toasted, chopped almonds to the top. If you add them before tossing they’ll all sink to the bottom.
Thus ends my Salad Excitement post for the Summer of 2012. See you next year!